It’s a time to be cautious on social media right now. The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is clamping down on how influencers declare their paid sponsorships, while a new Instagram account is calling out the lack of originality on the platform. Copycats beware!
Nevertheless, the major platforms are pushing on with a host of new products and betas – see below. Also included this week are the return of classic video gaming and the latest smartphone usage stats.
- Amazon is testing video ads within search results.
- Netflix is also testing video promo ads in between episodes, but users aren’t impressed.
- Facebook launched new ad products for video games.
- The new instalment in the IPA’s AI Radar series looks at public attitudes to AI in the workplace.
- Are ‘dumb phone’ sales rising because users want a break from always-on connectivity?
- Smartphones account for 62% of time spent online in the UK, according to UKOM’s Digital Market Overview.
- Wishing you had more Legend of Zelda back in your life? SNES.party lets you play classic Super Nintendo games online with your friends.
- A solar-powered drone has completed a record-breaking flight of over 25 days.
- Shelf Engine uses machine learning to reduce food wastage and increase gross margins for food-related retailers.