PHD International’s media planner Shona Read looks at what has been inspiring people this week;
“You are that which you are perceived to be.”- Dr Simon Hampton
- TED talk of the week: The art of stillness – In our world of constant movement and distraction, Pico Iyer teases out strategies we all can use to take back a few minutes out of every day, or a few days out of every season.
- Dreaming Big – The aphorism tells us that “life is what happens when you’re busy making plans.” So building the life that stays on track requires a specific goal that can act as your north star.
- 16 holiday life hacks – Brought to you by Mental Floss, testing some of the hacks that are always talked about around the holiday season
- Desert Island podcast of the week: Damian Lewis – Part of the new wave of British talent taking over Hollywood, the actor from Homeland talks about his experiences and influences
- TED podcast of the week: To the edge – What does it take to become a modern explorer or explore the last frontier? Talks from some of the greatest achievers in human endurance
INTERESTING ARTICLES, STORIES OR SPEECHES
- Large scale snow drawings – Impressive pieces of artwork on a massive scale on top of a frozen lake
- Miniature spinal cords have been grown in the lab – Scientists from the Dresden University of Technology have made a giant stride in the field of regenerative medicine, having successfully grown spinal cord-like tissue in the lab from embryonic stem cells
- Black Friday: Distorting value perception – The herd mentality we’ve seen over the weekend is an interesting example of irrational behaviours and how we perceive value
- Ebola vaccine passes first human trial – The origins of the vaccine go back a decade, but new breakthroughs have been found through GSK
The force be with us: This week scientist discover an invisible “shield” thousands of miles above earth, it essentially stops any super-fast particles from harming us (more detail here for the science geeks) (See main picture)