In October’s round up of “Inspiration Points” we look at a mix of interesting people, amazing stories, inspiring thoughts and things we like.
- TED talk of the week – Why some of us don’t have one true calling
- BBC reporter sexually harassed – while talking about sexual harassment
- Unmistakable Creative – Commit to the act of creating with Sarah Peck
- TED talk of the week – The future of flying robots
- Purpose: The New Bottom Line – by Casey Gerald
- 0-100 – Dance!
- TED talk of the week – The unexpected beauty of everyday sounds
- Awesome Girls – Celebrating girls who are changing the world, from Kid President
- How I survived my worst failure – from Rob Forbes, ceramic artist, professor, author, publisher, photographer, and business entrepreneur
- TED talk of the week – How I teach kids to love science
- Unmistakable Creative – What makes someone truly wealthy
- What is light? – in a nutshell
- TED podcast of the week – The meaning of work
- Tim Ferriss Experiment – 5 tips to becoming a better investor
- BookD podcast of the week – A book review and conversation with Andrew Marr – looking at dealing with great success and a stroke that fundamentally changes your life as well as the role that art and drawing plays in the development of an inventors mind
- Desert Island Disc – Alison Balsom – the interview covers her journey to becoming the world’s best known trumpet soloist and her involvement in a small charity that brings brass instruments to African street children – her impassioned defence of music and the arts in the education system is wonderful to hear and straight from the heart
- TED podcast of the week – Simply Happy
- Freakonomics of the week – How to win a Noble Prize
- TED podcast of the week – Open Source World
- Freakonomics of the week – How to save $1 billion without even trying
INTERESTING ARTICLES, STORIES OR SPEECHES
- The perfect response – to blatant racism
- Long-term fatigue – how to embrace a long-term project
- The career marathon – when do you plan on retiring? Will you be irrelevant by then?
- A man and a dog – and their travels around the US
- Nobody cares how hard you work – confusing effort with results
- Coding for refugees – Budding entrepreneurs in Germany have launched a coding school for refugees!
- The reasons we work – The purpose motive occurs when you do an activity because you value the outcome of the activity (versus the activity itself)
- Living vs Existing – from Hunter S Thompson
- Everybody Lies – as explained by Dan Ariely
- Have a better day – …with these 6 scientifically proven ideas
- Your cat – the colour of it’s fur is actually linked to how aggressive it is
- You should read more – here’s how (and why)
THINGS WE LIKE
- Drinking enough water? – The bottle cap that could be helpful
- Phone Addiction – One photographer has taken a series of photos and removed devices…(main picture)
- Real Dollz – An artist reimagined Bratz dolls as iconic women
- Killer Bacon – It causes cancer? Sort of. Not really. Ish….