Hopefully you all caught a glimpse of the 2019 Oscars, where Netflix’s original production Roma won three Academy Awards. This week we’re also seeing some great new tech emerging from MWC Barcelona – more of that below.
- Google had a key spot at the Oscars with a new ad promoting Google Home. It recreated some scenes from past movies that would have changed the course of the film had ‘Hey, Google’ been used. Watch here.
- Facebook wants to make a virtual assistant that is smarter than Alexa and Siri and have announced a partnership with Intel to help build this.
- Biddable ads are reportedly coming to Tik Tok in the US, which will open up opportunities for key advertisers who could reach a valuable audience on this trending app. This should also mean that it will open across the globe to other markets and brands.
- 61% of internet global ad spend was spent with Google and Facebook according to the latest Global WARC results – check out the highlights here.
- Snapchat study ‘Apposphere’ shows how the apps you use impact how you feel.
- A must-read from Ste Davies: ‘Decoding The Social Media Algorithms In 2019: The Ultimate Guide’.
- A favourite from #MWC19 so far is the unveiling of foldable smartphones from Samsung, Huawei and Oppo. This canvas could offer some fun advertising opportunities, so definitely one to watch.
- MTV is launching a weekly quiz show commissioned by Facebook Watch called MTV Stax, which gives viewers the opportunity to answer 10 questions for a cash prize.
- Instagram has some new developments arriving, including a new layout for IGTV, improved search capabilities and making Collections public.
- How to ace customer service: a deep dive on luggage brand Tumi’s transformation.
- A point of view on what our future looks like with social media and how we change our consumption of it.
- 21 facts about Instagram that all eCommerce brands should know.